IntroductionNeuro is a Grandmaster Zerg-only player.
I just watched "How to Endure a Turtled Terran", and here are my take-aways.
- Mules help you get your Production up (Barracks, Factories), and hit the Zerg with some mineral-only units (Marines, Hellions) to keep him from getting out of hand.
- Try to entice your opponent to fight into Planetaries, chokes points guarded by Siege Tanks, and to defend Hellbat harass with Zerglings.
- When you run out of cheap, buffer units like Hellions, you need to pull back and merge your forward army, with its remaining expensive units, with your reinforcements. "Going for the kill" against a Zerg that can re-max, is a good way to throw away all your slow, expensive units (Tanks, Thors)
- Don't force your way into a Terran's turtled position. Instead, take the map. Once you have a mineral bank, you can start dropping static defenses at your outer bases. Ensure that you have at least 1 spore and 2 spines on the way to many bases, to enable you to deter ghosts.
- Creep spread is your friend, and allows you to use one of your best units and only healer, the Queen, in mid-map fights. You need to learn to use Rapid-Fire for creep spread, as it can get you ridiculous numbers of tumours, so even clearing them takes the Terran player long enough that you can rally units to prevent them from killing all your creep.
- You need Queens on a hotkey.
- If you have a big pack of Swarmhosts, which helps you pressure the Terran without throwing away units, it's better to save a few locusts so the Terran doesn't immediately push after you send a locust wave.
- The more of the map you have, the more you can spread your units, and then retreat and collapse to concentrate your army when the Terran pushes forwards.
- Take the farthest bases when you can. You want to mine out his side of the map, and slow him down from taking corner bases and immediately plunking down a Planetary, which is difficult to dislodge.
- Gas is very important to Terran lategame composition.
- You need to cap yourself at 70 drones in late game. If your drone count is too high, your army will be too small.
- Your goal is to re-max with better units (Roaches that die should be replaced with gas-heavy units like Broods, Infestors, etc).
- Creep slows down the Terran push, and speeds up your response
- Try to pick Green as your colour against Terran, as it is easiest to find the nukes. Orange and Red are the worst colours.
- Neuro says: "Starcraft is a game of: 'What is the most important thing to be paying attention to at any point in time'".
Take the map
- Creep spread, and replace cleared creep
- Mine his side of the map
- Spread units defensively, then retreat and collapse vs. big pushes
- Slow down his pushes with static defenses
Harass with Free Units
- Pull units with Vipers
- Queens, Broods, Hydras, Swarmhosts, Infestors, Vipers, Overseers
- Max 70 drones
- Drones into static defenses, especially vs. nukes